Maze Race is a simple game that I wrote as a C# Console Application. The game is based around the player solving perfect mazes in the quickest time possible by navigating from a corner to the opposite corner. A perfect maze can be described as a maze where there is only a single path between any two points and there are no loops. They are equivalent to trees in graph theory.
Initially I just had the desire to make a simple application that generated mazes of arbitrary size but I thought it would be much more fun and interesting as a game.
The game contains a number of modes:
- Ten level speed run – race around 10 mazes starting from a 5 x 5 maze and ending with a 15 x 15 maze. This mode has top scored and replays.
- Race the CPU – best out of 10 games with a choice of five difficulty levels.
- Race another person – best out of 10 games.
The technologies and techniques used are listed below:
- Recursive backtracking for automated maze generation and solving.
- ASP.NET Web API for posting scores and game recordings.
- Serialization of objects to JSON using Json.NET.
- Microsoft SQL database for saving the game scores and replays.
- AES encryption to prevent fake scores.
Download Maze Race and see how well you can do at the 10 level speed run!